If you’ve ever felt like taking CBD doesn’t work for you or that it takes too long to take effect, you’re not alone. CBD, unlike the psychoactive THC, interacts with a wide range of proteins in the body and central nervous system.
A key part of this interaction takes place within the endocannabinoid system. Unlike THC, which is the intoxicating cannabinoid that binds to these receptors and creates the “high” effect, CBD actually has an inverse, calming effect.
A common mistake CBD users make is taking more than the recommended dose, especially if they haven’t started to feel any effects. Although you can’t overdose on CBD, your body may have some adverse effects like nausea, diarrhea, cramping, and fatigue.
Before giving up on your wellness journey with CBD, let’s set some realistic expectations as to how long it takes for CBD to take effect.
How CBD Interacts with the Body
The relationship between CBD and the human body is kind of complicated. As previously mentioned, the interaction between CBD and the body takes place within the endocannabinoid system. It’s here that the CBD moves through the central nervous system.
How CBD affects the person and how long it takes to feel the effects of CBD will greatly vary on the individual. Another major factor is how the person consumes CBD, whether it’s through inhalation, ingestion, or topicals. And factoring in the CBD dosage will also matter, too.
Variables such as body weight and metabolism play a large role in CBD and its effects on the person. Factors such as gender also play a big part, as females generally weigh less than their male counterparts.
Experience levels with using CBD are also smart to point out since the body can create a natural tolerance after the extended use of any product or medicine.
How you consume CBD does matter
There are four main methods of consuming CBD. Those are inhalation (vape/e-cigarette), topical (creams and rubs), sublingual (tinctures), and oral (capsules/gummies).
- Inhalation: This is the fastest and most effective way to consume CBD. Smoking or vaping CBD causes the product to go directly into your bloodstream through the lungs, and only moments to feel the effects. Although this method shows the fastest rate of effectiveness, it can be controversial. Many CBD users do not like the idea of having to smoke a product. For that reason, many beginning CBD users will choose an alternative method.
- Sublingual: Consuming CBD from a tincture (drops) or a spray directly under the tongue is one of the most preferred ways of consumption. Absorption takes anywhere from 15-60 minutes, although some report feeling the effects right away. Underneath the tongue is home to a huge collection of capillaries, or tiny blood vessels, that helps matter get absorbed quickly into the bloodstream.
- Oral: Orally consuming a CBD product like a capsule, gummy or chocolate can take up to 90 minutes to see an effect, making it the longest method. This is because the CBD needs to go through your digestive system and be absorbed into your bloodstream through there. Although orally ingesting a CBD product takes the longest time to see an effect, it is also the method that lasts the longest, so many CBD users prefer this method to the others.
- Topical: Applying a topical CBD product directly to the skin will yield immediate effects. This method is commonly used for sore or stiff muscles. While many beginning CBD users prefer this method, experienced CBD users tend to lean towards the other three methods, where they report stronger feelings of effect.
Helpful CBD tips and tricks
- If you want to feel the effects of CBD quickly, try a vape pen or a tincture, as those methods will hit your bloodstream the fastest.
- If you don’t feel the effects of CBD right away, wait the recommended time limit before re-dosing. You don’t want to feel adverse side effects!
- Use patience when starting your CBD wellness journey! CBD works with the endocannabinoid system and the effects aren’t always immediate and may require you to build up to the desired effect. Remember you are working to bring your body back to homeostasis, harmony, and balance!
- Make sure you are buying your CBD products from a reliable source. Because this is such a new item on the market, many facilities don’t have a CBD standard to adhere to. Le Pragma CBD is a tried, tested, and true brand, and you can purchase here on the website!
Whether you’re beginning on a journey with CBD or are a seasoned user, one thing everyone wants to attain is overall wellness.
Make sure to do your research and ask the questions before starting with any CBD product. You’re well on your way to leading a healthier life already!